New Releases for The Week of Dinosaurs and a Boy from the Clouds

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Hooray Minecraft!
  • edited November 2011
    Wow, thanks for just blowing off the new XIII game. Damn do I miss the days when puzzle games weren't considered "lame." Maybe a game not being a shooter can be a good thing, even as much as I love the original.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    It's a matter of expectations. In the vast majority of video game past, a sequel is a game which uses the same core mechanics, but which adds new features and/or advances the story. If they want to make a game with fundamentally different mechanics, it's usually indicated in the title, like Sonic Pinball or Final Fantasy Tactics, not to mention that this is usually only possible to pull off with games that have a particularly strong and beloved story-world, like the examples above.

The thing that makes it 'lame' to the XIII fans, I think, is that it isn't what they expected. The game was announced simply as XIII: Lost Identity, then only later revealed to not be a typical sequel.

If they had announced XIII Jigsaws or something like that, then it likely wouldn't have caused so much disappointed surprise.

Also, people who like puzzle games enough to buy them, likely will never hear about this one, partly due to its roots as an FPS.