MEDIA ALERT: IGN is more pompous than ever!

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the chuckle! ;D Definitely sounds like the IGN I've always heard about.
    Actually, strike that—the feeling is probably from that burrito from I ate for lunch.

Just for reference, there's an extra "from" in the above sentence in the article, just thought I'd point it out. Otherwise, an excellent read! :thumbup
  • edited June 2010
    Sending e-mails promoting yourself is called spam. Complaining about said e-mails because you're too lazy to cover video game news is called being a whiny little bitch.
    Journalism is about bringing the news (like, uh, I don't know, IGN?) and not about crying because your friend's website is bigger than yours.
  • edited June 2010
    ^^

lol above is clearly an IGN editor

IGN BLOWS.
  • edited June 2010
    "name"

you are worng, respect is mutual.
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited June 2010
    IGN doesn't really bring the news... they just paste a bunch of videos off of publishers' websites.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    IGN doesn't even do reviews anymore they just hype a game and post a two page review which is half full of "video review" and screen shots.

Look back at early reviews: FF7, Ocarina of Time, Legend of Dragoon, Dragon Quest titles, etc. all are 5 or more pages with almost no screen shots taking up half the page.
  • edited June 2010
    Don't worry it's just IGN flashing some of those hard earned M$ dollars!!!!!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Well I'm glad I was not the only one who thought this was a bit pompous. Why do we need to even go if IGN is taking over E3?
  • edited June 2010
    Quit your crying Bobby and go enjoy E3. Even if it is overrun with pompous IGN pricks, you are there while the great majority of gamers can only sit at home saying "I wish I could rub shoulders with all those super-cool kids!" If it's too heartbreaking for you, I'll go in your place.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Do keep in mind that E3 is not a vacation. For game journalists, it is a workplace, an assignment, and might as well be a battleground.

If I was going to the show just to dick around and play video games all the time, then I wouldn't care what IGN was up to for the entire event. I can tell you from experience that the one thing that I did the least of at E3 2009 was play video games. The majority of the time is spent listening to press talks, interviewing devs, and making connections. Most of the video game related stuff is released before the show anyways, so it really isn't about having fun and kicking your feet up.

That is why IGN's position becomes troublesome.
    edited June 2010
    For those that are curious, here is the full text of the email:
    *** MEDIA ALERT***
    IGN.COM TAKES OVER 2010 E3 EXPO WITH
    MOST EXTENSIVE LIVE COVERAGE AND MULTIPLE ONSITE LOCATIONS

WHAT: IGN.com is taking over E3 this year, with the most comprehensive live coverage and multiple onsite locations at 2010 E3 Expo, the videogame industry’s premier event. This year IGN is partnering with other leading brands in gaming, mobile and media to bring show-goers – and fans at home – first-ever experiences at this year’s expo:

· IGN Live Show – Now Streamed on YouTube! – IGN’s E3 Live Show will feature interviews with today’s top gaming personalities coupled with real-time demos of this year’s hottest games. For the first time ever, YouTube will stream live coverage of E3 – courtesy of IGN – including IGN’s Live Show from the expo floor and live coverage of key press conferences from five major industry titans (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Electronic Arts and Ubisoft). West Hall Booth #4444 and on YouTube (http://youtube /e3)

* The Sprint/IGN First Look 4G Gaming Experience at E3 – Co-branded booth featuring 10 gaming stations that for demoing the high-intensity multiplayer game modes of Activision’s upcoming Transformers: War for Cybertron using the Sprint Evo. IGN’s daily online videogames show, The Daily Fix (featuring host Jessica Chobot), will shoot live from a special stage at 4pm PT each day of the show. South Hall Lobby.

* EA/IGN Gun Club – IGN and EA introduce an all-new ‘club’ featuring the hottest shooter titles from EA. Presented by IGN, the booth will feature eight gaming stations showcasing EA’s Medal of Honor and Battlefield Bad Company 2, two of the first Gun Club inductees. South Hall Lobby.

* IGN Dedicated E3 Hub – Packed with up-to-the-minute, live updates and daily wrap-ups, including hands-on reports, interviews, previews, and tons of screen shots and videos from the show’s most exciting games. The hub will also feature HD-quality live-streaming of press conferences. (http://e3.ign.com)

* IGN’s “Best of E3” Awards – Follow us as we select nominees at the show, and pick the winners who will take home the trophies after the show. Overall show winner will be announced on Friday, June 18th.

WHY: E3 continues to be the gaming industry’s premier trade show for computer and video games, where developers and publishers come together and make announcements that will affect consumers and the gaming industry alike.

WHEN & WHERE: The 2010 E3 Expo, June 15- June 17, 2010 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I agree IGN doesn't hit the floor and get gaming news. They sit in there glass booth and cut and paste. IGN needs to come down from there ivory tower and mingle with us common folk.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I think for a smaller site like Icrontic its about finding a focus at an event like that, and it might be finding a gem in a smaller developer / publisher that feels ignored by the big media machine. Thats how you serve your audience through differentiation. Icrontic caters to the more enlightened gamer that realizes there is more to life than the next Halo or COD title. Leverage that when your there to get to the little gems that IGN only offers a footnote, and you will bring back some amazing content.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    In fact, Can I coin that phrase?

Icrontic.com, news for the enlightened gamer.
  • IGN used to be one of my first internet stops 5 years ago. Now, i sometimes go there to check a review on a big game release....just to see the score out of curiosity. IGN is the new Gamespot, in the sense that they got so big and convoluted by corporate mergers and poor managerial decisions that i now visit NEITHER. RIP IGN...you used to be worth my clicks
    edited June 2010
    IGN used to be one of my first internet stops 5 years ago. Now, i sometimes go there to check a review on a big game release....just to see the score out of curiosity. IGN is the new Gamespot, in the sense that they got so big and convoluted by corporate mergers and poor managerial decisions that i now visit NEITHER. RIP IGN...you used to be worth my clicks

I don't know who you are or what you said but your name is fucking awesome.
  • FrylockFrylock Washington St...not DC
    edited June 2010
    HAH! I have been trying to get some of my buddies off of IGN. They love it, and don't understand how the reviews are lack luster and seem forced half the time.
    We all know you can buy a review on IGN...sad times
  • IGN is too darn lame and monolithic. It's an ugly combination.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    bump for lulz
    edited December 2011
    What an awesome piece. I still hate IGN.
    edited December 2011
    That feature image kills me. IGN.com WE THE BEST
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Did they do it again in 2011?

Do people ever read IGN? I kind of forget they exist.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I remember standing in line in front of some guys from IGN at PAX this year. They were trying to convince the people behind them (who were also journalists) that not everybody at IGN is a dumbass. They even had a panel on it!
    edited December 2011
    If you need to dedicate a panel to explain how you're not mildly retarded it might just mean you're mildly retarded.