Hey Blizzard: Man up and hire more community managers instead of punishing your user base

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I really have no problem with this move on Bliz's part. Maybe your boss is the guy you were corpse camping by Hogger and now HE KNOWS WHO YOU ARE!
  • edited July 2010
    I play games like wow for a little diversion, I have no desire to know anybody else's, or have them know my real name while I play.

Blizzard know this change will mean a massive amount of players will no longer use the official forums. There is less to manage so it's a win/win for them. It has nothing to do with improving the general forum experience of their subscribers.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Do people who aren't trolling or whining use the official forums anymore?
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I pretty much agree with everything in this article.

Forum trolls are just a part of life. I don't think people using their real names will really affect a whole lot - people gonna hate.

Even if it is some sort of a deterrent, what's the point if it's going to expose the majority of gamers who don't use the forums or who are legit? Tying to real names causes a breech of privacy, in my mind. I don't need some kid knowing my real name, looking me up on Facebook, and harassing me. People use screen-names for a reason: to be one step withdrawn from their real name, offering a little shield of privacy against the rest of the mad, mad world.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I've had enough issues with jackasses on XBL Googling my gamer tag and trying to freak me out and track me down with information from Icrontic.

To have my actual real name and email address accessible to jackasses on WoW? Absolutely no fucking thank you, Blizzard.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Wait, you're a community manager?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    What do you call Icrontic?

IT'S LIKE YOU'RE LIVING IN DENIAL, QUADY.

"You get prizes"?

"You get sponsors"?

"You have a community"?

WHAT IS THIS, CRAZY WORLD?
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I thought you meant one of Blizzard's CMs on the WoW forums.
    edited July 2010
    In other news, HURRR DURRR HERP DERP
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    In other news, HURRR DURRR HERP DERP

This is how I've always imagined turnips sounding.
    edited July 2010
    HURR DURR
    edited July 2010
    This was pointed out by primesuspect, wanted to share. A blog post about the scope of what can really be mined from the names given away by RealID. Just take a look.

It did a pretty good job of painting the scope of the significance of the RealID issue -- while not going over-the-top creepy about it. I appreciate the writer urged readers not to harass, but to acknowledge the repercussions of RealID.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2010
    I'm not saying it's the right solution but it's also more then just a change to put your real names there. It's linking back-end style to facebook as well so that battle.net becomes a full social media thing also.

Which isn't me agreeing with their tactics, but it's more then just a 'hey lets make everyone use their real name' tactic.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    "all it takes is one chink in the armor of online privacy to make someone’s life a living hell" RACIST!!!! >=(
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    wat
    edited July 2010
    lol SHUT UP AZN
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    kekeke
    edited July 2010
    jajajaja